Mounting the Crane Barge

I couldn't do it.


I couldn't get myself to muster the courage to take the few shorts steps across the narrow wood planks that straddled over calm waters between a stable floating dock and the crane barge. The pile drivers had no hesitations in crossing the planks and they're larger and older than me. They even encouraged me to cross, extending their hands from the barge for me to grasp, if I would just take those first two steps. I put my foot on the plank and my stomach lurched when it wobbled. I shook my head. Nevermind. I had set out from my office trailer with the idea of climbing onto the crane barge to take some photos before it leaves the site as the project is coming to a close. The crew put the planks away and I now have to live with the fact that I failed to accomplish what I thought I could do.

Why couldn't I do it? I've braved other difficult conditions before. I've climbed up and down an unstable stick to access the top of an 8ft high storage tank in Fiji.


I can't say that I had no qualms as I climbed that. I was definitely careful about my safety and made sure I kept "3 points of contact" on this makeshift ladder. One branch stub broke as a stepped down and I had to cling to the log with my hands.

I guess I just feel more secure on land than over water.

Comments

Popular Posts